Greenacres Family Survives Terrifying Crash

A collision at the intersection of Greenacres Avenue and Kingston Road on Tuesday September 1st at 3:30 in the afternoon, resulted in a car rolling over.  An 88 year-old man, driving south on Greenacres Avenue in his 2009 Lexus failed to see another car coming up the hill on Kingston Road.  The driver of the second car, a 2007 Lexus SUV, was a 40-year-old mother from Claremont Road, who was coming home from the Greenacres playground with her two children, ages eight and five in the car.  Despite a stop sign on Greenacres Avenue, the first car hit the passenger side of the car coming up Kingston so hard that it rolled over 360 degrees,  landing on it's wheels facing the opposite direction. All the windows of the car and the windshield shattered, spraying glass everywhere, and the airbags deployed.  Ms. Jennifer Schwartz was able to get out of the car and ran around to try and free her children from the car.  Her older son could not open his door but managed to climb into the front and exit through the driver’s side door.  
Screaming for help, the mother tried desperately to get her five-year-old son out of the car as she feared it would go up in flames.  Five year-old Julian was buckled into a booster seat in the back seat of the car.  As the car door would not open, she crawled back in through the driver’s side door and was able to get him out. According to Ms. Schwartz “it was the most terrifying moment of my life.”

ImageThe elderly man who was driving the other car identified himself as Arthur Graham Jr. of Plymouth Drive, Scarsdale.  He was wearing thick glasses and initially said that he never saw the stop sign.  When his wife arrived on the scene he claimed that he had stopped.  He still has his driver’s license and was not injured.

The Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps took Ms. Schwartz and her sons Noah and Julian Glantz to White Plains hospital. She had cuts and scrapes and x-rays of her neck and back were taken. She is now going to physical therapy to treat the pain.  Her older son had abrasions around his eye but did not need stitches and luckily the five-year-old boy was not injured.  They were all covered in glass and are grateful to be alive.  After four hours of examinations they were sent home.

The family has written a letter to the police department and to the mayor to ask for an analysis of the intersection to examine whether four-way stop signs or speed bumps should be installed.