Playland Park Now Open: New Rides, Entertainment Experiences and Dining Opportunities
- Tuesday, 23 May 2023 16:54
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 23 May 2023 16:54
- Published: Tuesday, 23 May 2023 16:54
- Joanne Wallenstein
- Hits: 1826
Enjoying the adrenaline rush of the Dragon Coaster, cooling down in the new Playland Pool, and savoring bites and brews while taking in the sights and sounds of Long Island Sound, all are a sample of summer experiences at Playland, one of the nation's most beloved amusement parks since opening in 1928 with over 40 rides and attractions. Located in Rye in Westchester County, Playland is a National Historic Landmark and a summer tradition for the entire New York City metro area, which opened to the public on Saturday, May 20, 2023 through September 15, 2023. A complimentary roundtrip shuttle service from the MetroNorth Railroad station in Rye is available during the summer season, as well as regular Bee-Line bus service, which provides easy connections to an attraction that has served so many generations of families.
As one of the only amusement parks in the U.S. designed in Art Deco architecture, Playland is home to thrilling and historic rides including Whip (1929), Derby Racer (1929), Dragon Coaster (1929), The Carousel (1929), and numerous other adventures for all ages and excitement levels. The newest ride is the Old Rye Motorbike Factory, which debuted in 2022. This year, guests can expect new rides including the custom-built Jack the Puppeteer, a fun, family-friendly ride that takes the visitors on an exhilarating spinning adventure, which will be available later in the 2023 summer season.
“Playland has been a multi-generational destination for millions of visitors in the greater New York region for almost a century,” said Jeff Davis, General Manager of Playland. “As we continue to grow and build the park for the next 100 years, we are thrilled to introduce a diverse range of new experiences for all our visitors to enjoy from dining, outdoor adventures, entertainment, events, rides, and more, while preserving the incredible history of the park. In addition to our popular rides and games, our new visitors are often surprised to find direct access to our beach, pool and lake, available right on-site. We have something for everyone at all ages, so look forward to welcoming everyone this season.”
Additional NEW experiences for 2023 at Playland include the following:
· New Fountain Plaza Show – Featuring a synchronized musical, water, and light show to welcome all guests throughout the day and night.
· Create a Sensational Moment at the New Installation, “Play! Verse – An Immersive Adventure” – These installations will include other worldly environments, fantastic creatures, eye-popping optical illusions, immersive cascades of light color and sound, and even a gateway into infinity. The new Play! Verse includes different thematic rooms that feature LED light shows, interactive infinity mirror tricks, and more, creating a multi-sensory and dynamic photo ops for all. Admission tickets are $10.00 for Play! Verse.
· New Dining Experiences with Panoramic Waterfront Views – The NEW Tiki Beach is an upscale eatery with indoor and outdoor seating, as well as picturesque views of the Long Island Sound. In addition, Captain Lawrence Beer Garden is a more casual space adjacent to Tiki Beach with outdoor seating to enjoy a few brews. Come visit and taste the whipped ricotta cheese with honey and truffle sauce. Evening entertainment will also be available for a scenic al fresco dining experience.
· Explore the Picturesque Playland Beach, Lake and Edith G. Read Nature Preserve, and Cool Down at Playland Pool – The scenic on-site Playland Beach will reopen Memorial Day weekend and will debut a NEW 35-foot waterfront slide this season, as well as new amenities including volleyball, kayaking, and paddleboarding along with weekend entertainment including live steel drums performances! NEW Swan and Dragon Paddle boats are now available at $20.00 at Playland Lake alongside the historic Boathouse and near the Edith G. Read Nature Preserve – all on the shores of the Long Island Sound. The Beach Pass is $9.99 per adult and child, while children ages 2 and under are admitted for FREE. The recently debuted Playland pool with zero depth entry and state-of-the-art lounge furniture will be open for the season. The Pool & Beach Combo Pass is $14.99 per adult and child, while children ages 2 and under are admitted for FREE.
Memorable activations throughout the summer will offer special treats through a variety of major events at Playland including “Party on the Pier at Playland” on June 7, 2023 from 6-9 pm, hosted by Westchester Magazine’s Wine & Food Festival where guests can sample summer favorites from local restaurants and food trucks with beer, wine, cocktails, and live music, along with the 5th Annual Bartender Shake-Off. Playland will also host a Juneteenth event on Monday, June 19, 2023, complete with A Motown Concert and Dance and Drum Workshops by Bokandeye African American Dance Theater, Inc. of Yonkers, NY. Adding a spark to summer at Playland is the amusement park’s Annual July Fourth Celebration, complete with special entertainment and fireworks.
The 2023 Day Pass is $39.99, while the Day Pass for Westchester County residents is $29.99. The 2023 Season Pass includes access to all rides and is available at $109.99, while the Westchester County Resident 2023 Season Pass is $99.99 with proof of residency. Children under 3 are free. All guests must meet height and safety requirements to ride.
For more information and a calendar of events, visit www.playland.com and follow Playland on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and LinkedIn.